What Is Black Mold?
It's important to treat every type of mold with caution, especially black mold. There are many types of mold, but you have heard the words "black mold or "toxic mold" more often than not. Mold grows on material with a high cellulose content. Stachybotrys chartarum is the type of mold often called black mold, and it does produce allergens and irritants. Reoccurring moisture such as water damage, leaks, flooding and even condensation is a cause for growth. Stay out of the areas containing mold both indoors and outdoors, let a professional take a look before you attempt removal on your own. You can learn more on our website about mold & what to do before help arrives at SERVPRO of Douglas & Otter Tail Counties!
Learn more about mold and what to do until help arrives by visiting Mold Damage Tips.
How Do I Tell If It’s Black Mold?
Since many types of mold can cause reactions, you should contact us regardless of the color or type of mold. In many instances, multiple types of mold may exist in the same house or structure. If you suspect you have a mold problem, contact SERVPRO of Douglas & Otter Tail Counties immediately.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – (320) 219-6505
When water intrudes into your property, mold growth can start in as little as 48 hours. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic, float along in the air, and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor, and that odor can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
SERVPRO of Douglas & Otter Tail Counties is locally owned and operated—so we live and work here too and are proud to be part of this community. We are also part of a national network of over 1,600 Franchises with special Disaster Recovery Teams placed strategically throughout the country to respond to large scale disasters.
We are proud to serve our local communities:
- Fergus Falls
- Parkers Prairie
- Pelican Rapids
- New York Mills