Restoring Your Alexandria, MN Commercial Property after a Water Loss
Commercial Water Damage Events Present Unique Challenges
Flooding and water damage events at commercial properties in Alexandria, MN are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO of Douglas & Otter Tail Counties
SERVPRO of Douglas & Otter Tail Counties specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Comprehensive Restoration after Water Damage in Alexandria
Moisture in an Attic During Winter can Easily go Unnoticed
Moisture can be problematic for homeowners. After flooding or heavy rainfall, it is common for older structures to take on some water. In small quantities, this poses little problem, but introducing moisture to attics or crawlspaces can result in mold growth and cause permanent damage if left untreated. Getting an expert restoration team can help you to get your home back to how it was, "Like it never even happened."
Properties that have recently had issues with water damage in Alexandria could benefit from a professional restoration service. Trained technicians, like those working with SERVPRO, can clear away areas of damage you can see, as well as less visible areas that may go overlooked.
When we provide restoration services, we are looking at both short-term and long-term gains. In the short-term, we can bring in wet-dry vacuums and portable extractors to remove excess water quickly. We can also clean your structure and contents thoroughly with sanitizers and anti-microbial treatments.
SERVPRO applies preventative measures to guard against longer-term damages that can appear after the initial damage has been restored. We may include assessing your carpets to ensure they are entirely clean and free of moisture on both sides as well as inspecting the carpet pads underneath. Sometimes the surface damage is just the tip of the iceberg. By moving furniture and interior, we can check your subfloor and crawlspaces for any signs of further damage.
Before we pack up and leave, a SERVPRO technician can test and adjust your indoor humidity levels to reduce the risk of secondary damages. We do this using dehumidifiers, rapid air-movers and moisture meters in tandem. Taking a sample from an unaffected area of your home allows us to establish a dry goal that we can then work toward achieving.
One of the primary concerns for homeowners is the unpleasant odors that come with water damage. Using foggers with odor neutralizing chemicals can help to restore your home to a welcoming and clean environment. Having taken both long and short-term restoration measures a SERVPRO technician can give you a walk through, pointing out areas of concern and explaining the work carried out.
If you are looking for a comprehensive restoration service in your local community, contact SERVPRO of Douglas & Otter Tail Counties at (320) 219-6505 to arrange a visit.
Should You Wait for an Adjuster After Storm Damage?
Flooding Can Cause Damage After a Severe Storm
Flooding can cause damage after a severe storm
After a severe storm or flooding in Alexandria, MN, you may wonder whether to wait for a flood insurance adjuster before trying to mitigate flood damage. Here are three reasons not to wait before documenting damage and taking steps to limit the extent of secondary damage to your home.
1. Documentation Is All You Need to File a Claim An insurance adjuster does not need to witness damage firsthand to process a claim, but you do need to document the damage. Take extensive dated photographic or video evidence. Keep records of possessions, as well as their condition and value, and locate receipts for high-value items if possible. Footage and itemized records should be enough to prove your home and possessions sustained the damage you claim.
2. Adjusters Are Likely To Be Backlogged Depending on the extent of a flood or storm and how many homes and businesses were affected, it may take adjusters a while to follow up on your flood insurance claims. It is better to document and immediately take steps to mitigate damage to keep conditions in your home from worsening. As a matter of fact, your insurance may not provide as much of a payout if you cannot prove you did everything in your power to limit damage in a timely manner.
3. Secondary Damage Can Start In Hours The longer water damage sits, the more likely it is that building materials and contents will need to be replaced rather than restored. Mold damage can start to emerge within only 24 to 48 hours following a flood. You should take steps to eliminate the presence of water and moisture in your home as soon as possible. Don't wait for a flood insurance adjuster following adverse weather or flooding in Alexandria, MN. Contact water and storm damage specialists if you need assistance with flood damage mitigation or restoration.
Call SERVPRO of Douglas & Otter Tail Counties at (320) 219-6505.
What is Mold?
Mold can grow within 24 to 48 hours and will begin to colonize in 1 to 12 days.
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 320-219-6505
Emergency Ready Plan, Are You Ready?
Emergency Ready Plan Flyer
Are you “Ready for whatever happens?”
Preparation is a key component for making it through any size disaster, whether it’s a small water leak, a large fire, or an area flood. The best time to plan for such event events is not when the event happens, but well before it happens.
The SERVPRO Emergency READY Plan serves as a quick reference of important building and contact information or can be an ideal supplement to any well-designed emergency preparedness or existing contingency program. Rather than simply reacting to disaster situation, most prefer proactive measures to establish a relationship with a restoration services company.
By working with SERVPRO of Douglas & Otter Tail Counties to develop your personalized Emergency READY Profile your business will receive the benefit of over 40 years of experience in reducing the impact of any natural or man-made disaster. SERVPRO is a leader in water and fire damage response and can help you quickly get your property back in working order.
Call SERVPRO of Douglas & Otter Tail Counties today at (320) 219 – 6505 or Email tuSERVPRO@gmail.com for a No Cost Assessment of your facility.
SERVPRO of Douglas & Otter Tail Counties
SERVPRO of Douglas & Otter Tail Counties
SERVPRO of Douglas and Otter Tail Counties is available 24 hours a day for water emergencies, large or small. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
We Answer the Phone Ready to Help Call Today - (320) 219-6505
We understand that when you call us, you may be feeling confused, stressed, and vulnerable. You need an expert to guide you through this crisis. SERVPRO of Douglas and Otter Tail Counties has the specific water damage training and experience to help you through this tough time. We specialize in water damage restoration—in fact, it's the cornerstone of our business.
What to Expect
When you call, we will ask several questions regarding your water damage emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO Professionals may be needed.
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask several questions:
- Your name and contact information
- Your insurance information (if applicable)
- The street address of the water-damaged home or business
- When did the flooding or water damage occur?
- What caused the water damage (if known)?
- Is there electricity available (on-site)?SERVPRO of Douglas and Otter Tail Counties specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
About SERVPRO of Douglas and Otter Tail Counties
SERVPRO of Douglas and Otter Tail Counties specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
SERVPRO of Douglas & Otter Tail Counties Specialize in Flooded Basement Cleanup and Restoration!
This Alexandria home’s basement flooded due to heavy rains.
A basement can flood at any time, although flooding most often occurs during heavy rainfall. Basements are inherently prone to flooding because they are the lowest level of a building and are normally built partly or entirely below ground level. There are a number of reasons why your basement could flood, including:
- A blocked or failed sewer lateral pipe
- Heavy rain causes surface water to pool around your home
- Storm sewer backup
- Sanitary sewer backup
- Foundation drainage failure
- Water supply-line break or hot-water tank failure
- And many more
Have Questions about Basement Flooding?
Call Today – SERVPRO of Douglas & Otter Tail Counties - (320) 219-6505
If flood water is not handled quickly and properly, it can jeopardize your health and safety, and cause severe damage to your home’s structure. Remember, the longer you wait, the worse the problem will get.
The bottom line: a flooded basement can jeopardize your health, safety, and your home’s integrity. It’s worth making a call to SERVPRO of Douglas & Otter Tail Counties and let our trained, professional crews handle the situation safely and correctly. We have earned the trust of hundreds of homeowners, business owners, and property professionals.
We are Flooded Basement Specialists:
- We are Available 24 hours/7 days per week
- We’re a Preferred Vendor to many National Insurance Companies
- We Bill The Insurance Directly – One Less Thing For You To Worry About
- Our Technicians are Highly-Trained in Water Restoration Techniques
- We use s500 IICRC Restoration Standards
- Advanced Inspection and Extraction Equipment
Basement Flooded? Call Us Today – We’re Ready To Help (320) 219 – 6505.
Conditions In Alexandria Might Be Right For Mold
SERVPRO of Douglas & Otter Tail Counties knows what to do if mold grows in your home.
It’s estimated that more than 1 million types of mold exist, yet less than 10 percent have actually been named. This means mold is very common in both indoor and outdoor environments. While mold and humans can sometimes co-exist without issue, there are certain species of mold that can cause health effects for some people.
If the right conditions exist, mold will grow. Those conditions include:
- Water - Different mold types require varying amounts of liquid before growth begins.
- Temperature - Normal indoor temperatures will promote mold growth.
- Time - Initial mold colonizers can take hold within one day after being exposed to an adequate water supply.
Mold growth can occur in any home, so it’s important to keep an eye out for situations that might promote mold activity. Roof/chimney leaks, wet basements, or condensation from ducts that dampen surrounding insulation are just a few examples of issues that make a house a prime target for mold growth.
If you suspect mold in your home, call SERVPRO of Douglas & Otter Tail Counties to assess the situation. We have the knowledge, tools and track record to effectively remediate mold in your home or business.
If you suspect mold, call us today at (320) 219-6505
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
Contact SERVPRO of Douglas & Otter Tail Counties for mold remediation services.
House Fire Prevention Tips
Now that the cold weather is upon us, furnaces are turned on and we will be spending more time indoors, it is time to review some fire safety to prevent house fires. House fires affect more than 374,000 homes each year and smoking is the leading cause of fire related death. House fires are devastating and they cause more than 7 billion dollars in damage in the United States each year.
It is important to know ways that you can reduce your family's risk of experiencing a house fire. Below is a list of a few things you can do:
- Do NOT smoke in bed or anywhere in your home for that matter. People lay down while smoking a cigarette and fall asleep causing more fire related deaths than any other cause worldwide.
- Unplug appliances that are not in use. Certain appliances have auto on features that keep them on all the time so you can turn them on right away. These appliances can catch fire when left plugged in.
- Keep clothing and debris off power strips. Make sure your children do not leave clothes on power strips as the clothing can catch on fire.
- Unplug hair dryers, curling irons and flatirons for straightening your hair. As soon as you are finished using them, unplug them right away. Do not walk away to do something else before unplugging them, because you could easily forget.
- Only place your curling Iron and flatiron on a flat hard surface. Do not leave irons or flatirons on soft surfaces that may catch on fire.
- Keep portable heaters away from all cloth and clothing. Make sure they are on a flat stable surface and cannot tip or be knocked over by children. Heating elements are the second leading cause of house fires.
- Do not walk away from food while cooking even for a brief period of time. Make sure that you turn pot handles so that children cannot grab those dumping scalding contents which can burn them or start a fire.
- Use baking soda to extinguish grease fires as water will make them spread.
- Keep batteries in your smoke detectors and test them frequently.
- Make a fire escape plan with your family, especially if children are on a different floor.
- Leave the home immediately and call 9-1-1 if your home catches on fire!!!
Knowing these tips will help keep you and your family safe. If you do experience a house fire call SERVPRO of Douglas & Otter Tail Counties at 320-219-6505. We are fire restoration specialists.
Time to Prepare For Winter
Beware of Ice Dams This Winter
The temperature is dropping and we have had our first snow. We know winter is coming - and, maybe, quickly! Is your roof ready? Are your gutters cleaned out so any melting snow is free to run off of your roof properly? Is your attic properly insulated to prevent ice dams? Ice dams can be a major problem during the winter season. They form when heated air melts roof snow downward into water dammed behind still-frozen ice. When the trapped water cannot safely flow or run into the gutter system, it can backflow under the roof's shingles and into the structure's interior areas. Your local SERVPRO of Douglas & Otter Tail Counties professionals can help mitigate water damage caused by ice dams and help you get your structure back to preloss condition.