If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (320) 219-6505

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

House Fire Prevention Tips

11/3/2017 (Permalink)

Fire Damage House Fire Prevention Tips Fire!

Now that the cold weather is upon us, furnaces are turned on and we will be spending more time indoors, it is time to review some fire safety to prevent house fires. House fires affect more than 374,000 homes each year and smoking is the leading cause of fire related death. House fires are devastating and they cause more than 7 billion dollars in damage in the United States each year. 

It is important to know ways that you can reduce your family's risk of experiencing a house fire. Below is a list of a few things you can do: 

  • Do NOT smoke in bed or anywhere in your home for that matter. People lay down while smoking a cigarette and fall asleep causing more fire related deaths than any other cause worldwide. 
  • Unplug appliances that are not in use. Certain appliances have auto on features that keep them on all the time so you can turn them on right away. These appliances can catch fire when left plugged in. 
  • Keep clothing and debris off power strips. Make sure your children do not leave clothes on power strips as the clothing can catch on fire. 
  • Unplug hair dryers, curling irons and flatirons for straightening your hair. As soon as you are finished using them, unplug them right away. Do not walk away to do something else before unplugging them, because you could easily forget. 
  • Only place your curling Iron and flatiron on a flat hard surface. Do not leave irons or flatirons on soft surfaces that may catch on fire. 
  • Keep portable heaters away from all cloth and clothing. Make sure they are on a flat stable surface and cannot tip or be knocked over by children. Heating elements are the second leading cause of house fires. 
  • Do not walk away from food while cooking even for a brief period of time. Make sure that you turn pot handles so that children cannot grab those dumping scalding contents which can burn them or start a fire. 
  • Use baking soda to extinguish grease fires as water will make them spread. 
  • Keep batteries in your smoke detectors and test them frequently. 
  • Make a fire escape plan with your family, especially if children are on a different floor. 
  • Leave the home immediately and call 9-1-1 if your home catches on fire!!!

Knowing these tips will help keep you and your family safe. If you do experience a house fire call SERVPRO of Douglas & Otter Tail Counties at 320-219-6505. We are fire restoration specialists. 

Other News

View Recent Posts